Pregnancy massage is performed with a focus on the safety and comfort of the expectant mother. A soothing and therapeutic approach is taken to relieve the discomforts associated with the pregnancy, help the client relax and prevent fatigue. Your body is going through a lot and massage can help reduce the pain and discomfort from some of the symptoms associated with the changes your body is going through.
Some of the benefits of pregnancy massage include:
- Pregnancy massage lightens stress on weight-bearing joints
- Alleviates many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy: muscular discomforts, lower-back pain, upper-back pain, headaches, leg cramps, sciatica, stiffness, tension and knots, carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, heartburn and acid reflux, fatigue, varicose veins, nasal congestion, shortness of breath, edema of the lower extremities, neck pain, interscapular pain, sacroiliac and hip joint pain and constipation
- Boosts blood circulation, which provides more oxygen and nutrients to both mother and fetus and stimulates the removal of harmful toxins from the mother’s cells
- Stabilizes hormonal levels and helps reduce anxiety caused by hormonal changes
- Soothes the nervous system by releasing endorphins into the mother’s body. As a result, the expectant mother feels more relaxed and at ease, and will also sleep more easily and more deeply
- Pregnancy massage helps the mother in maintaining good posture and adjusting to a changing alignment caused by the baby’s increasing weight. Massage increases muscle tone and flexibility, enhancing the ability to carry this extra weight.
- Relieves aches and pains, leg cramps and muscle spasms
- Eases the load on the heart and helps keep blood pressure in check
- Enhances the pliability of skin and underlying tissues, which will result in less ‘stretch marks’.
- Supports the return of blood to the heart and increases blood flow to the uterus and placenta.
- Prepares the mother-to-be for an easier delivery with its sedating effect on the nervous system, promoting relaxation and stress relief
- Offers a natural, safe, drug-free alternative choice for pain relief, since taking medications are often limited during a pregnancy for the sake of the unborn child
- In addition to the physical benefits, prenatal massage provides expecting women with the emotional support and nurturing touch provided by nonsexual human touch and energy.
During a pregnancy massage, swedish massage is used and may include deep work to the neck and shoulders, lymphatic draining may be used to relieve swelling in the hands and feet and face. Indian head massage may be used to relieve headaches and foot/reflexology massage may also be used, depending on each client’s needs.